Details of the long-awaited fifth Indiana Jones movie have finally been revealed.
Disney and Lucasfilm announced it is set to be called Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, alongside sharing the film’s first trailer and a variety of still shots. It will be the first new movie for the franchise since 2008’s Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
The movie is set to come out on June 30, 2023, and is looking to be one of the most highly anticipated films of the new year.
Directed by James Mangold (known for his work on Girl, Interrupted, Walk the Line and Logan), the screenplay is written by brothers Jez and John-Henry Butterworth. The pair have worked with Mangold previously on 2019’s Ford v Ferrari.
One of the most exciting aspects of the newly released teaser is scenes of the de-aged Harrison Ford, who is reprising his iconic role as the franchise’s leading face once again. It appears the movie will use both Ford’s regular eighty-year-old face and the special effects younger version.
The new movie also features a whole host of A-list Hollywood actors, including Fleabag creator and star Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Other big names include Hannibal actor Mads Mikkelsen, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy actor Toby Jones and The Mask of Zorro’s Antonio Banderas.
Producers include cinema legends George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, as well as Kathleen Kennedy, Simon Emanuel and Frank Marshall. John Williams will return to the franchise for the fifth time to provide the score.
However, the trailer didn’t seem to give much away about the new flick, so it seems fans will be left in the lurch for a little longer as to what the story entails.
The clip was first debuted back in September exclusively for the room at D23 in Anaheim by Kennedy alongside Mangold and the movie’s leads, Ford and Waller-Bridge.
“I’m very proud to say that this one is fantastic, and this is one of the reasons,” said an emotional Ford at the time, pointing to thirty-seven-year-old Waller-Bridge.
“Indiana Jones movies are about mystery and adventure, but they’re also about heart,” the Hollywood legend continued, “and I’m really, really happy that we have a really human story to tell, as well as a movie that will kick your ass.”
He went on to explain that “this is it,” and will be his last movie for the forty-one-year-old franchise, despite the films being an “incredible experience.”
“I will not fall down for you again,” he joked.
“I had the time of my life making this movie. I feel so incredibly lucky and keeping up with this guy is exhausting,” said Waller-Bridge, indicating toward Ford.
Fans have responded to the new trailer with excitement.
One said: “That brought me out in goosebumps, and brought a tear to my eye. Damn, that looks cool. And Sallah is back! That’s the icing on the cake.”
Another commented: “This trailer gave me chills and watery eyes. Like… the character of Indy inspired me so much and now that I’m old and seeing them old?
“It’s like seeing old friends (even though they’re fictional) and knowing it’ll be the last time together. Let’s do this… One. Last. Time.”