Alec Baldwin is facing a fresh lawsuit, as Halyna Hutchins’ immediate family have filed a lawsuit against Alec Baldwin over her tragic death.
This comes after the actor was charged alongside the film’s armourer Hannah Gutierriez Reed with involuntary manslaughter over the death of Hutchins. The forty-two-year-old was killed on set back in October 2021, when Baldwin was given a “prop” gun that mistakenly contained live rounds.
The sixty-three-year-old was using the gun prop on the set of the American Western film, Rust, when he fired a round of blanks that killed Hutchins, as well as wounded the director of the film, Joel Souza.
Souza was immediately rushed to the hospital where he received treatment for his injuries. He was then taken to Christus St Vincent Regional Medical Center for further examinations.
Hutchins was taken to the University of New Mexico Hospital, but sadly died when she got there.
The cinematographer was transported to the location via helicopter but before she could undergo life-saving treatment, she succumbed to her injuries.
As per the Independent, the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s office said that the pair were shot when a prop firearm was discharged by Baldwin, who is the producer and actor for the new film, which, ironically, is about an accidental killing.
Since then, Baldwin has gone through a lot of torment over the incident. Many called out the actor for his actions, whether they were an accident or not.
Over the months that ensued, new information came to the surface, revealing that there were instances that caused crew members to leave the set even before the fatal shot was fired.
As per the Independent, sources revealed that “camera operators and their assistants were frustrated by the conditions surrounding the low-budget film, including complaints about long hours, long commutes and collecting their paychecks… safety protocols standard in the industry, including gun inspections, were not strictly followed on the Rust set.”
Now, over a year after the tragedy, it seems that a decision has finally been made about the criminal charges he faces.
It has been announced that both Alec Baldwin and armourer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, have been charged with 2 cases of involuntary manslaughter in connection with the shooting incident.
New Mexico District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies said in a statement: “After a thorough review of the evidence and the laws of the state of New Mexico, I have determined that there is sufficient evidence to file criminal charges against Alec Baldwin and other members of the Rust film crew.
“On my watch, no one is above the law, and everyone deserves justice.”
The Hutchins family have since spoken out about the charges, revealing in a statement that the news brings them “comfort.”
Attorney Brian Panish, speaking on behalf of Hutchins’ family, said: “We want to thank the Santa Fe Sheriff and the District Attorney for concluding their thorough investigation and determining that charges of involuntary manslaughter are warranted for the killing of Halyna Hutchins with conscious disregard for human life.
“Our independent investigation also supports charges are warranted. It is a comfort to the family that, in New Mexico, no one is above the law.
“We support the charges, will fully cooperate with this prosecution, and fervently hope the justice system works to protect the public and hold accountable those who break the law.”
Since his initial charge of manslaughter, it has been revealed that Baldwin is also being sued by Hutchins family. They allegedly filed a civil lawsuit against the actor on February 9, per the New York Post, for “[alleged] battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligence, and loss of consortium.”
Her parents and sister are being represented by Lawyer Gloria Allred, who said that her sister “had a very close relationship with her big sister and she feels strongly anyone who is responsible for her loss must be held accountable.”
This comes months after Baldwin and Matthew Hutchins reached an out-of-court settlement.
Leave a Reply