Police have arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor at the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk as part of an investigation linked to material connected to the late American financier Jeffrey Epstein, in a significant development that brings renewed scrutiny to the Duke of York’s past associations.

Thames Valley Police confirmed that a man in his sixties was arrested on Thursday morning and remains in custody for questioning. Officers also carried out searches at addresses in Norfolk and Berkshire. While the force did not publicly name the individual, the arrest took place at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate, where Mountbatten-Windsor has been residing, and multiple UK outlets reported that he was the person detained.

In a statement, Thames Valley Police said the arrest followed a review of material recently assessed in connection with previously released United States documents relating to Epstein. The force said it was working with other agencies and that enquiries were ongoing. No formal charges have been announced.

The arrest marks the most serious escalation to date in the long-running controversy surrounding Mountbatten-Windsor’s relationship with Epstein, a convicted sex offender who died in a New York jail in 2019 while awaiting trial on federal trafficking charges. Epstein’s network of contacts included politicians, business leaders and members of high society in the United States and Europe. Court documents, depositions and civil litigation over the past decade have repeatedly drawn attention to his links with prominent figures.

Mountbatten-Windsor, the third child of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, served in the Royal Navy before becoming a working member of the Royal Family. From 2001 to 2011, he held the role of UK Special Representative for International Trade and Investment, travelling widely to promote British business interests. During that period, he met a range of international contacts, including Epstein.

Photographs of the Duke walking in New York’s Central Park with Epstein in 2010, after Epstein had already served a prison sentence in the United States for procuring a minor for prostitution, prompted public criticism when they emerged years later. Mountbatten-Windsor has consistently said he regretted the association and described it as a mistake. In a televised BBC Newsnight interview in November 2019, he said he did not recall meeting Virginia Giuffre, one of Epstein’s accusers, and denied allegations of sexual misconduct. The interview was widely criticised and led to his announcement days later that he would step back from public duties.

In 2022, Mountbatten-Windsor reached an out-of-court settlement with Giuffre in a civil case brought in the United States. The settlement included a statement expressing regret for his association with Epstein and acknowledged Giuffre as “an established victim of abuse.” The agreement did not include an admission of liability. Following the settlement, he was stripped of his remaining military titles and royal patronages, and has not returned to public-facing royal roles.

The current police investigation appears to stem from a review of material connected to documents released in the United States relating to Epstein’s activities. US court filings and depositions have, in recent years, included references to high-profile individuals who were acquaintances of Epstein. The Metropolitan Police previously assessed material connected to allegations involving the Duke but said in 2022 that it would take no further action at that time, citing a lack of new evidence and a review of existing material.

Thames Valley Police have not detailed the specific offence for which the man in custody was arrested, beyond describing it as part of an ongoing investigation. The force said searches were conducted as officers sought further evidence. It is understood that multiple forces are assisting in the inquiry, reflecting the cross-jurisdictional nature of some of the material under review.

The arrest took place at Wood Farm, a five-bedroom property on the Sandringham Estate that has been used by members of the Royal Family for decades. Mountbatten-Windsor has been living there following his move from Royal Lodge in Windsor. Sandringham, the private Norfolk estate traditionally used by the Royal Family over Christmas and during the summer, is owned by the monarch in a private capacity.

Buckingham Palace has declined to comment on the arrest. Mountbatten-Windsor ceased to be a working royal in 2019 and no longer carries out official engagements on behalf of the King. He retains the title Duke of York but does not use the style “His Royal Highness” in an official capacity.

The Prime Minister, Keir Starmer, when asked about the development during a public appearance, said that “nobody is above the law” and that any investigation must be allowed to proceed independently. He did not comment on the specifics of the case.

Legal experts note that arrest does not imply guilt and that individuals detained on suspicion of an offence are entitled to the presumption of innocence while enquiries are ongoing. Police may release a suspect on bail, release them under investigation, or seek to bring charges, depending on the evidence gathered and the advice of the Crown Prosecution Service.

Epstein’s death in August 2019, ruled a suicide by the New York City medical examiner, brought an end to criminal proceedings against him but intensified scrutiny of his network. Civil litigation has continued in the United States against associates and institutions alleged to have facilitated or ignored his activities. Thousands of pages of documents have been unsealed in stages following court rulings, leading to renewed examination of historical relationships and contacts.

Mountbatten-Windsor has previously said that he met Epstein through mutual acquaintances and that the relationship was primarily social. In his Newsnight interview, he said he had stayed at Epstein’s New York townhouse in 2010 for a brief period and had severed contact shortly thereafter. He described the decision to visit as “the wrong decision” and said he had been seeking to end the friendship in person.

The Duke has largely maintained a low public profile since stepping back from royal duties. He has occasionally been seen attending private family events but has not undertaken official engagements. His public reputation has been significantly affected by the controversy, with charities and organisations distancing themselves from him in the aftermath of the 2019 interview.

The present investigation introduces a new legal dimension. Police have indicated that the review of material is ongoing and that further updates will be provided when appropriate. There is no indication at this stage of when a charging decision might be made, if at all.

As the inquiry continues, attention is likely to focus on the nature of the material examined by investigators and whether it constitutes new evidence beyond what has previously been assessed. For now, the central fact remains that a senior member of the Royal Family’s inner circle, albeit one who no longer undertakes public duties, has been detained by police in connection with a renewed review of allegations linked to one of the most high-profile criminal cases of recent years.

Mountbatten-Windsor remains in custody while enquiries proceed. Police have urged restraint and emphasised that investigations of this nature are complex and may take time. The outcome will depend on the evidence gathered and the decisions of prosecutors in due course.

Trending

Discover more from The Hook news

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading