Michaela Coel, the mind behind the critically-acclaimed TV show I May Destroy You, has joined the cast of Marvel’s Black Panther sequel.
Production on Black Panther: Wakanda Forever began last month, with sources telling Variety that Coel has joined the team at Atlanta’s Pinewood Studios. The film is directed by Ryan Coogler.
Cole joins a stellar cast that includes Danai Gurira, Letitia Wright, Daniel Kaluuya, Winston Duke, Lupita Nyong’o, Florence Kasumba and Angela Bassett.
The 34-year-old was nominated for four Emmys for the semi-biographical I May Destroy You, which she wrote, co-directed, executive produced and starred in.
— BD (@BrandonDavisBD) July 21, 2021
It is not yet known what character Cole will play.
The hit show follows Arabella (Cole) as she deals with rape trauma in contemporary London.
Speaking to Radio 1 Newsbeat at the time of the show’s release, Cole said: “It took me two and a half years all in all to write it and I didn’t do any other job,
“It’s been quite hard but cathartic because I’m reflecting on a dark time rather than feeling it is happening to me right now.”
Michaela Cole has been cast in an unnamed role in BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER. I want to believe she’s going to be Storm and this will be the first introduction of the X-MEN into the MCU.
— Chad Darnell (@ChadDarnell) July 23, 2021
She added: “We respond to trauma and triggering situations in many different ways, it’s not always a pity party,
“Sometimes we’re in deep denial and it’s not that we’re begging people to believe us, but actually people are pleading for us to believe them about what’s happened to us.”
Cole is also known for her hit comedy show Chewing Gum and has acted in Netflix’s Black Mirror, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Netflix’s 2018 musical Been So Long.
Michaela Cole won’t be Storm. Let’s face it….
H O W E V E R .
She COULD be “Madame Slay” in a film against a female Black Panther. IMAGINE all the MERCH and female hip-hop artists referencing a character named “Madame Slay”. Hell get Beyonce on the soundtrack. pic.twitter.com/We9KYZKZYS
— Martin Luther Kang the Conqueror Jr #StopAsianHate (@UpToTASK) July 21, 2021
Speaking to Variety, Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige admitted that filming the Black Panther sequel without the original film’s star – the late Chadwick Boseman – was going to be tough.
He said: “It’s clearly very emotional without Chad.
“But everyone is also very excited to bring the world of Wakanda back to the public and back to the fans. We’re going to do it in a way that would make Chad proud.”
Boseman died of colon cancer in August last year, aged 43.
— Viola Davis (@violadavis) July 27, 2021
The Black Panther star had been battling the disease in private for four years.
In an emotional statement released at the time, his family said: “A true fighter, Chadwick persevered through it all, and brought you many of the films you have come to love so much,” his family said in the statement.
“From Marshall to Da 5 Bloods, August Wilson’s Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom and several more – all were filmed during and between countless surgeries and chemotherapy. It was the honour of his career to bring King T’Challa to life in Black Panther.”
Black Panther: Wakana Forever is slated for release on July 8, 2022.
Are you looking forward to seeing Michaela in action?